Saturday, January 26, 2019

Let the Quilting Begin

On Friday, Feb. 25, 2019, I got the quilt sandwich layered - backing, batting, and quilt top.  That process is my least favorite part of the whole process, so I was glad to get that behind me.

This is my backing fabric.  It had been chosen for another quilt and then I found something better.  I really like it for this one.


I am doing free-motion quilting, with no marking, using my sit-down mid-arm machine, a Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen.  I'm using an Aurufil gray thread, 50 wt. and so far I am very pleased with the results.  Unfortunately, Lizzy is determined to supervise carefully and she really slows me down!





I made a label which I sewed to the backing before I began quilting, so that the quilting would help hold the label in place.  At the same time, I made my binding so that it will be ready to go when I am finished with my quilting.


You might be able to see my free motion quilting design which threads through the center of a diagonal line of red, white, and orange quilt blocks.  I will do some other designs as well before I'm done.


This page doesn't link back to Bonnie Hunter's page as there won't be another link up for a week or so, but in my earlier posts you can find links to other quilters' work on this quilt.   #goodfortunequilt    #quiltvillemystery


No comments:

Post a Comment